Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The House Fire of 2012

7 comments
 
What a birthday for Tony! Today a fear became a reality when we experienced a very real life threatening event. It is one of those things that you never think will happen to you. Then when it does you are overly thankful that you have insurance.

I am so thankful because my husband was home with us today. He has been having some severe eye allergy issues. He thought he may have had pink eye so decided to stay home to play it safe just in case it was pink eye instead of allergies.

I have to believe this plan was in process and not a coincidence. God knew we would need him home. There would be no way I could have gotten the kids outside then extinguished the fire myself. So our fire drills and safety talks paid off well. I got the kids and he extinguished.

The fire was behind the electrical box. It was raging and a fast burning fire. It was headed upward and would have easily burned our house down if it had the chance. It also was right near our hot water heater which would have exploded. Tony got to it just in time. Called 911 and 5 or 6 police and fire trucks were outside our home.

It is comical really the roles that God has given us to play as a family. We all were made with certain personalities and traits that work well together. Kaitlyn my oldest is the strong and steady one. She was an amazing leader and trooper. She just saw what needed to be done and did it readily. A great leader. Hannah was completely overwhelmed. She has autism and her anxiety is over the top in situations like this. I feel for her. Dakota was so laid back he just hung out like it was normal (which really probably is what he is used too!) I started in my comforting Hannah mode, helping her focus on God and not worry. Kaitlyn took over to hold D and make sure he was safe. Tony put out the fire, called 911, took care of the business.

We worked well as a team. That is what family is suppose to do. I am thankful for mine. I am thankful we are safe. I am thankful the damage was not too bad. We are reminded that our stuff is not important. It can all burn and we will be ok. The important thing is we are ok and Christ. No one can ever take our faith in Him and His promises away from us. That is all that matters.

So now we are displaced. We are not allowed back in our home until all assessments and repairs are done. It could be a week or two. But we will be okay. It is a minor inconvenience. An adventure really. We get to stay in a nice place with a pool. Life is an adventure and though it does not always turn out the way you planned you go along with the ride. So many things are just out of our control.

Please do pray for us. I am sure this time will be challenging dealing with the change. Hannah asked me if this was part of God's plan for us. If I truly believe in His control and sovereignty I must say yes it is part of his plan. It could have been worse. I cannot know why it happened but even so God is good. We praise Him. We must hold on to what we know i

7 comments:

Beth said...

I am so glad the damage was minimal and y'all are safe. I love how you are looking on the bright side and calling this adventure - enjoy the pool!

Leanne Laymon said...

Thanking God right now that you guys made it out safe! I definitely know first hand how fast a fire can rage. Less than a year ago, we had a closet fire and lost all of our clothes, shoes, bags, and other items. Only thing saved, was a shoe box of photos & my wedding dress. I was doing 2 loads of laundry the night before but most was Benny's work uniforms. So we went thrift shop shopping.
Gabe was the one that started the fire during the very early morning while we were still asleep. I woke up to his tiny self just starring at the blaze. Luckily, I woke up from a heat wave on my face, or we probably would have lost him. We told him to run outside and stay on the deck, while Benny and I worked for about a half hour putting out the fire. We were such shock that we weren't even angry or mad that it happened but that we were so thankful that we were okay and that Gabe was perfectly fine. ( this was 3 months after we lost our daughter)
That day, God really opened my eyes to cherishing the ones I love and not the material things (& I'm not really a materialistic person AT ALL). His Grace is never ending!

jenmom said...

So glad you and all your family are safe! Praying God's richest blessings on you guys during this time! May He be glorified through your family!

Kathy said...

Praise God you're all alright! And yes, embrace the adventure of hotel-staying. ;-)

Unknown said...

Praise God y'all are well and that God put in place what needed to be. He is so very faithful.

Unknown said...

I’m sorry about what happened to your home. I know that dealing with this kind of unfortunate event is hard. But thank goodness everyone was safe and no one was hurt. I hope that you and your family are on your way to full recovery. Things happened for a reason. And in every unfortunate event, we always have the opportunity to start again. [Allen Hoffman]

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that everyone was safe. Like what Allen said, this was an unfortunate event which could've cost your lives. Anyway, I hope that you'll never experience that event again. By the way, how's the renovation or repair in your house?

-Emely Carmichael

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff